Monday, July 18, 2011

Some Norwegian you are!

Some Norwegian you are!
My wife is of Norwegian descent on her father's side of the family. They came from a little enclave of Norwegians that settled together in midwestern Canada. I often kid my wife when she complains about cold, dark and sometimes wet Utah weather. (It's a desert but it rains or snows more than you would think.) The other thing she is not fond of is the smell of fish. So I'll say, "some Norwegian YOU are, you don't like the wet, the cold, the dark or smelly fish. Aren't you supposed to like Lutefisk and Herring?" She'll reply, "no, I think past generations of mine must have been sick of it, that's why they immigrated!" She couldn't look more Norwegian unless you put her in one of those traditional costumes.

I've learned to eat my tins of Sardines out in my wood carving studio, and take the tins out to the garbage can through the Garage entrance. Her sense of smell is so acute as to pick out the scent of the unrinsed fork I used lying in the sink waiting to be washed. (Now I rinse them off!) Of course for many hours I have what she'll refer to as kiity breath. I like nothing better than butter and brose (Oatmeal) with smoked Herring on top, but I'd have to eat that in my studio as well.

For some time we've had that sort of husband and wife banter on stage she's been my best friend. I sort of like that she's learned to tell some of her own stories as well as play the music behind so many of mine. My wife used to work as a volunteer harp therapist (She graduated from Tina Tourin's Harp Therapy school in Vermont.) at the local children's hospital and she will often tell a story of the little girl that used the music for pain reduction and guided imagery. It would help her feel better and she would imagine that she was in her mother's rose garden while the harp would play. I've often told my wife after working small miracles with children that if only there were more people in this world that played the Harp and cared about children they could fix everything else that's wrong with the world over night. The carving on my wifes Harp would be part of a little story she would tell to the children. It has a Raven's head that I have carved out of maple for her, with little semi-precious stones for eyes, and decorative knot-work from the book of Kells carved down the main pillar of the front. The local news did some air time on her work at the hospital, I'm very proud of her and hope that she can continue working with children, because she has a real gift at communicating with them.

Dave Sharp
Glastonbury duo

No comments:

Post a Comment