Monday, July 18, 2011

Memories of my Great Grandfather Ed Spalding Deputy Sheriff of Fremont County Colorado




Some of my earliest memories surrond a trip my parents made along with my maternal grandmother. We arrived somewhere in Colorado to a farm where some one special lived. My parents came to the door and were greeted by an elderly couple that came out and hugged my Grandmother and mother. I came to realize later that they were the parents of my Grandfather Clay long past away leaving my Grandmother a widow to raise her only child my mother Elaine.

My Great Grandfather had a Parakeet perched on his shoulder he called Corky, and to me he seemed taller than anyone else there. He took me over to a shelf where he brought down a Silver Star with the words "Deputy Sheriff Fremont Colorado" on it. It became a real treasure to me and I spent many hours with a childhood Hopi friend wearing it while we chased imaginary bank robbers and cattle rustlers. I still have it locked in a safety deposit box with other things of value for I would never choose to loose it.

Ed Spalding had been a Civil war veteren and had been shot as a young lad in the leg by a Confederate Musket ball. (He still had a limp for the musket ball was still in him.) He moved out west to Colorado where experience with a revolver stood him in good stead as a Deputy Sheriff. When we made our visit he was 94 and my great Grandmother in the picture was still with him.

We made one last visit to see them and I asked where Corky was and he told me that he got knocked out and didn't make when he ran into a door jam. My sister found this old photo of him with my Grandfather as a little boy in my Mothers stuff and made a present of it to me. It was interesting to see them when they were younger and to compare my vague memory of our vist 50 years ago.

Dave Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment