Monday, July 18, 2011

Dance Pinnochio


I told this story at a Music and Storytelling concert last March, 2007, when our group was asked for an encore.

During the day I work part-time for the American Federation of Musicians, Local 104 as the Business agent. My office co-worker is also a musician contractor and plays in a German, Swiss, Bavarian band called Salzburger Echo. They travel to the various Octoberfests and ethnic festivals around the country. My friend came to work one day dressed in his Leder-Hosen, since he had a gig that night. I was looking at the office emails that day and one was titled “Encore”. So I said, “encore, what’s that?” My friend said, “you know, it’s that thing that Irish Musicians don’t know anything about.” So I shot him right in the Leder-Hosen with the rubber band I had in my hand at the moment. He took a little hop, much like you see a Marionette do, as I said, “Dance Pinnochio.” Some nick names stick like glue after that. It made for a lot of material, such as the Alpine hat left on the desk comment, “If I put this on, and tell lies, will my nose grow” or when he goes home for the evening I’ll say, “later hosen.” We have a pretty good time most days and it all makes me laugh. I refer to him as “das Uber dorken” for his title at work and he refers to me as “das Office dorken.” Or when he gets a call I’ll say, “It’s a little old lady who’s on the phone for you.” Sometimes I’ll sing something from Wagner like the song of the Valkyre or something. We cover the office for each others gigs and or storytelling so it works pretty well. I should say I’ve always wanted to work a puppet show into our storytelling and music as well and have half the stuff built. I’ll finish everything with all that spare time someday soon.

Dave Sharp
Glastonbury

No comments:

Post a Comment